Monday 13 October 2014

Impulse purchases at Primark



Primark is one of the most famous shops in Nottingham and in the UK. I think it's most loved by students because is cheap but the products are fashionable! Primark's strategy is to create a need in customers when they are in the store.

The first impression when you come in a Primark store is chaos. There is whatever you want but the products are not well organized. Often the store is full of people and finding the right product requires more time than expected. I think this is Primark's strategy, because while you find a product that you need it's possible to see other products that catch your attention.

For example, when I went to Primark to buy a gym bag I didn't need the gloves and the t-shirt (shown in this picture) before entering but I saw them in the shop and I bought them. My involvement in this purchase was very low, because I didn't evaluate the different alternative or more information about the product: I just bought!

According to John C. Mowen, (1988) this is an example of Experiential Perspective, in particular it was an impulse purchase.

In that case for the gloves I'm affected by an accelerator impulse (Bayley and Nancarrow, 1988) because now (October) I don't need gloves but I know that in December  I would have to buy them.

No comments:

Post a Comment